Tuesday, April 17, 2012

4.17.12 - A Comfort, and Bob People-isms

Last night I slept great! Amy sent my inflatable camping pillow (that I had gotten from my parents as a gift a few years ago) in our last resupply box. It's a little extra weight and bulk to carry in my pack, but I think it's gonna be worth it!

Nothing too out of the ordinary today. Came to Vandeventer Shelter after about 12 miles on the trail. Went to fill up with water from the "nearby" water source. Book said it was 0.3 miles down a steep hill. They weren't kidding about the steep hill! Took a while to get down, started up raining again (it started right after we got to the shelter), then it was a lot of work getting out of that ravine and back to the shelter.

This shelter was the second one after leaving Kinkora, and right on the trail, so well visited by thru hikers. There is usually graffiti on the walls, and this time was no exception. However, some of it was hilarious this time, talking about Bob Peoples (owner of Kinkora Hostel), just how people joke about Chuck Norris as an icon! One Chuck Norris-ism I remember as being my favorite is "Superman has a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas". A few of the Bob People-isms I found great were "When Bob Peoples stays in shelters, the mice bring him food", "When Bob Peoples builds a switchback, an angel gets its wings", and "Bears hang Bob Peoples bags". Great stuff that you may only find as funny as us had you met the man, the myth, and the legend himself.

Dumb point in the day:
Tarzan said something to me either mocking or making fun of me, and as I stood up and walked out of the shelter to go rough him up a little, I whacked my head on the overhang on the shelter. Apparently other people had been hitting their heads too. Tarzan got lucky that time!

The rain has moved in and is falling on my tent. Praying for a dry morning.

-Meat

1 comment:

  1. Ryan! I so appreciate your entries - keeping me close to the daily happenings of my Sweet Baboo -aka Flosser. I hate that trail name but feel somewhat responsible. :). Keep on hiking and keep on writing and happy you are feeling better!!! Ann. :)

    ReplyDelete