Sunday, May 6, 2012

5.6.12 - A Better Mood, and Better View

Woke up feeling mentally recharged after last night's good times. Feet felt a lot better today too.

One of the scarier points on the trail today as we had to go through a cow pasture where the cows were right next to the trail eating. Not to mention, there was also a bull next to the trail too. Got a little nervous when they all stopped eating to look up at us as we walked right past. What do you even do in the situation they charge??? I'm sure the 30 pound packs on our backs will help.

Nice trail leading up to McAfee Knob. Lots of day hikers, but that meant treats one of them had left in shelters going up (oranges, mango, kiwi, chocolate creme pies), and one hiker that we had talked to on the way up, coming over to find us away from the large crowd to chat and give us apples! Now that's some trail magic, and delivered!

It was somewhat fun interacting with the day hikers. They smell good :). What can I say? We thru hikers are somewhat of a different breed!

Had good service up on the cliffs, so I got a chance to talk to my Grandma and Grandpa Rettig, and my Dad. Even though my Dad was finishing cleaning up from pancake breakfast at church, I told him he should have lied to me, because that sounded really good! I guess I can't complain too much. Last night's dinner was fantastic!

Got some good pictures up on McAfee Knob, then carried on and ended the day after 18 miles. Should be an easy 7 mile hike into Daleville, VA where I'm eagerly waiting to pick up my new pack, new shoes, a package from our buddy Chaos (and maybe from Dentoman too), and some more of my sister's puppy chow she made us that is in a box we sent forward from the last town we were in, to ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Grandma Rettig and I put together a package for you and were going to try to hit the Daleville mailing spot but since you're FIVE days ahead of schedule and the package is still sitting on my kitchen counter, I think we'll wait until you come back from Carolyn's graduation! :)

    I'm still LOL'ing about you being scared of cows.

    ReplyDelete